Bits and bobs

 It's been an interesting week.  I've been making a concerted effort to work on my push up/sit up counts, but also the counts on things that I had been neglecting this year so far.  I've seen small progress, but there has been progress. It's gratifying, and increasing my motivation to go further with it.  


1. Sparring.  I was in Tae Kwon Do for about 3 or 4 months when I was around 20 years old, almost 20 years ago.  Sparring at that point was a real weak point for me, and so I DREADED it.  I couldn't stop blinking and cringing away from my opponent.  So I knew that it was something I should work on in Kung Fu.  Luckily, I had been carting around the sparring gear all this time and it still fit, so I stomped down my dread and put out the word looking for partners on Saturday.  Thank you so much to all the Sihings that faced off with me!  I was a lot more comfortable with it this time, although I recognize that I have a lot to work on.  I like what Sihing Bjorkquist said about sparring being the opportunity to apply what you're learning, which hadn't occurred to me before.  I look forward to more opportunities.


2. Meditation. If I have a quiet 10 minutes, I've been taking time to meditate.  It's been nice.  Also, I have a membership to a float tank/sensory deprivation tank place in Edmonton, so I'm going to be utilizing that more.  


3. Craft Projects/Unfinished projects.  I'm actually putting events in my calendar for these so that I stop putting them on the backburner.  This weekend I'm going to build raised beds and plant in them.  And I've set aside 2 hours on Monday for some sort of craft project.

Comments

  1. Think the biggest thing about sparring, for me at least, is not worrying about getting hit. Knowing even if I do, trusting my partner is not going full out. We’re all there to learn and improve, not kill each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. 3- I’ve recently come to this decision too. So many intentions, so little time, unless I make the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the sparring, it had been too long. As Master Brinker would say about sparring (and Kung Fu in general), the only way to get better is to just do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Warp Factor Metaphor

Bumpy road

I AM Organized