Intent

 So, today I was in a course, Construction Industry Ethics.  We were talking about the fact that you can write all the pretty words you want about what your code of ethics is, but if you don't follow through with it then it means nothing.  "Intentions mean nothing without actions"

For some reason, the Six Harmonies popped into my head.

Now, it being early in my martial arts training, I fully admit that the internal harmonies are a mystery to me.  But during the class I did wonder if it was somehow connected.  Like, in construction, your values dictate your systems and procedures, which dictate your outcomes or performance, which fuel your reputation, is that kind of like Spirit pairing with Intent, Intent pairing with Chi and Chi pairing with Strength?

Intent in construction and Intent in Kung Fu seem to have different definitions, it seems.  Or do they?  

Intent in construction is what you say you're going to do.  In Kung Fu, isn't Intent what you're focusing your movements towards?  Isn't that the same thing?  Why are there so many question marks in this blogpost?!


Anyway, I will give this some mulling over, I just wanted to get it down before the thoughts escaped, and thought that I'd probably get a whack of sage advice from the group if I actually hit the "Publish" button.


Song of the day: What's the Time? by Blancmange

https://open.spotify.com/track/62GPeL92cTJaogevKYFPH9?si=a4e29c0bff0d4946

Comments

  1. To me words have much less impact, actions speak louder. Good blog 👍.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But without the words, without the intent, the actions would be misguided, no? So, both are necessary

      Delete
  2. I agree, in both construction and Kung Fu it should be say what you mean and do what you say. Both are necessary- action without words holds no accountability and without accountability what are we actually doing? As for application in forms; same thing, your actions have to reflect your intent or there is no harmony. But, if there is no harmony do you need to change your actions or your intent? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on the right path to understanding the internal harmonies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Warp Factor Metaphor

Bumpy road

I AM Organized