I AM Responsible

 

I have rewritten this blog many times.  I’ve started out usually by listing all the things I’m currently responsible for, which is a lot now, compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago.  But the list was boring and not helpful to the reader.  It was slightly interesting to me, to see how things have changed for me.  But the gist of it is this:  whether we realize it or not at first, pretty much every decision we make comes with responsibilities.  When we decide to take a job, have a child, adopt a pet, we take on obvious responsibilities.  When we go out partying, or eat certain things, or live our lives a certain way, those affect our responsibilities, too.  When we make mistakes, one of the most important things we can do is take responsibility for them, whether we meant to make the mistake or not. 

If that’s the case, then I think responsibility is about being conscious of how your actions affect everything.  If you take ownership of the way your movements through the world have a ripple effect on everything around you, and try to mitigate the harm, and amplify the good, then you are taking responsibility.

Unless you’re a supervillain, and then the opposite is true. 


Song of the day: Responsible by Dux and Stan Taylor

https://open.spotify.com/track/6VrEwJmqqjJbFZD0N0lwqq?si=a1f4d2152834480c

Comments

  1. I see myself as more of a chaotic-neutral character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of myself as chaotic-good, but experience has shown I am also chaotic neutral.
      The weight of responsibility to your own heart, however, is hopefully the strongest of all.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Warp Factor Metaphor

Bumpy road

I AM Organized