I AM thoughtful

 When there's an accident on a worksite, the most important aspect of the investigation afterwards is to determine the cause.  Now, that may sound simple on the surface: "The guy fell off the ladder because he was clumsy", that's just the first level.  We are taught that in order to find the true answers we need to keep asking questions until you find the UNDERLYING answer that can be used to instigate action.

A:"Bob fell off the ladder because he is clumsy"

Q:"What makes him clumsy?"

A:"Well, he didn't set up the ladder properly, so it wobbled under him"

Q:"What training has he had"

A:"Well, nothing, we assumed he knew how to set up a ladder"

Q:"What policies do we have in place regarding basic safety training?"

A:"Everyone is supposed to have X training"

You get the idea.

So, lately I've been experimenting this method with a number of things in my life.  Finding a string that looks a little lackluster and tugging on it until I think I've figured out why and hopefully some ways to make it better.

Example A: I reorganized my fridge.  Both my husband and I are ADHD and so the fridge was a messy assortment of hot sauces, packages of cheese and vegetables on death row.  I had tried a couple of different iterations of organizing it and it only made it marginally better.  Then I saw a thing on facebook (https://www.tiktok.com/@thecenteredlife/video/7268727221676772650 I'm so sorry for the tiktok link, but it is what it is) about organizing a fridge specifically for ADHD and the way they explained it just made so much sense:

-produce, and similarly perishable items go in the DOOR.  That way they are the first thing you see when you open the fridge and you are much more likely to use it or snack on it.

-leftovers are front and centre.  Same idea, you see it, you eat it.

-condiments towards the back

-drawers remain empty because "that's where things go to die".  I actually threw out the fridge drawers last year because of that reason, but now there is a handy lower shelf where we keep eggs and short jars of pickles.

This method answers a lot of the WHYs I had about my bad food habits, and I'm super happy with it.  It's only been a couple of days, but I'm optimistic. I also added labels so that nobody else (cough*Ben*cough) can claim ignorance of the fabulous new system.



I'm also working on applying the investigative method to my Kung Fu training.  I have made a lot of progress over the last year, but there are a lot of tweaks that I think are needed to get the best out of it for the future.  Like habits.  I'm terrible at keeping them up.  I'll go hard for 100 days and then suddenly I miss one day and my habit is completely forgotten.  I'm still in the middle of the investigation on this one.

That's all I got for now.












Song of the day: Woman (Mstrkrft Remix)

By Wolfmother

https://open.spotify.com/track/28EgO531KJ8wdNBPlbzEKO?si=266f2f78c8c34a93

Comments

  1. Great blog! I definitely have some kung fu techniques I “keep in the crisper door”, out of sight out of mind, until they are brought up in class. I want to try to reorganize the fridge for my kung fu too now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Warp Factor Metaphor

Bumpy road

I AM Organized