Work/Life Balance

 In Construction, summertime is a race.  There are a lot of things that either can't be done, or would be prohibitively expensive to do in winter.  So, as soon as the weather gets above 0 things need to move FAST to finish up outside, or be able to close up a building before winter hits.  Things like rain, tremendous heat, or administrative/supply delays can impact a schedule quickly, so the easiest thing a company can do is increase the man-hours to try and claw back time lost.

We're currently 6 weeks behind schedule on our Sherwood Park site.  The Superintendent is authorizing unlimited overtime, and has been trying to get us to work 6am to 4:30pm every day.  This means that I leave my house at 5:10am, and get home around 5:10pm.  And when I do get home, I'm sore, sticky, dirty, and sour.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still love my job, and the overtime is great.  But I've been finding it harder and harder to get the energy to get to Kung Fu when I get home.  

I know this is just temporary, though, and we're working toward a common, achievable goal.  I'm just TIRED.

The good news is, I did have a really nice (and sorely needed) trip this past weekend.  I went for my annual pilgrimage to Vulcan, AB, for VulCON, and to see my Star Trek Family.



It was THE BEST time.  I saw old friends, met new ones.  Talked, danced, debated, spent way too much money on things that I *definitely* needed (VINTAGE Tricorders and Phasers from the 90s!!!(yes I know it's weird that 90s is vintage now)).


I even had time to do a bit of Kung Fu practice early Saturday morning while I was waiting for the rest of my crew to wake up.

So, this morning when I went to work I was all refreshed and jazzed and ready to rock.  And I immediately tweaked my back loading the 5th wheel hitch into the 1 ton truck *facepalm*

I guess my work/life balance still needs work.


Song of the Day: Put Me to Work by Big Data

https://open.spotify.com/track/7EFbnQnhWPdFYsCqoqIfQu?si=050dc1dc9f4245f7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Warp Factor Metaphor

Bumpy road

I AM Organized